July 6, 2011

Big Bugs!!

So many places put on their 4th of July firework shows on the 2nd and 3rd so on the 4th we were trying to find something to do.  We woke up to rain.  Booo.  The rain not only put a damper on any morning festivities but it also made the rest of the day unbearably muggy and humid.  After we were sure the rain had passed (which was hard because it was still a pretty cloudy day) we hit the road to see the Big Bugs!


Glenwood Gardens is only about 5 mins from our house.  It's the first time I've been to the park and it was so beautiful!  So nice, in fact, that we bought a family pass so that we could take our time today and be able to go back when ever we choose.


Thankfully there was this tunnel that sprayed cool mist.  It was such a relief!


We didn't have much time.  We arrived around 4pm and the Discovery Center closed at 5pm so we had to rush to see the Big Bugs!  On our way to see them, we walked through the Children's Discovery Garden.  It was SO cute.  I think the boys may be too old for it, but they were interested in looking around.  Hopefully, we can plan another trip soon and be able to spend some quality time looking around.

Such a neat train section.
 
We didn't have time to stop and look.. but this was awesome!
After walking through the mist and beyond the fun play areas we finally found some Big Bugs!



These were amazing!  

As we were walking up to the big spider on the web we walked by a hollowed out tree.  The boys wanted to get a picture as they stood in it but were scared about what could be going on above them, in the tree.  So.. they just looked and looked.  They even took the Demon's camera and snapped random pictures, aiming the camera up, to see if they could see anything.


Finally, after taking about 5 pictures they determined it was safe to pose for the picture.



As crazy cool as the Big Bugs! were, I was completely miserable.  It's no secret that I hate the Summer.  I hate everything about sweating and being hot.  I would be happy as a clam if the temperatures never reached above 70 degrees.  I only wanted to hurry and snap some pictures and go back to the mist.  And, we did just that.  But, as we were walking back I heard a loud rustling in the grass behind me.  I stopped and turned around and saw a deer!  We live in the city.  We would never see a deer in our backyard, so seeing a deer so close to our house was cool.

..it stood there as I snapped picture after picture trying to get a good shot.


Instead of walking through the mist like before... I just stood there.  lol  It was wonderful.

After spending about 5 minutes relaxing in the mist we continued back to the Clubhouse.  We took a different way back and stumbled onto some more really cool things.  

Some weirdo statues down a big hill.

dragon

SO cute.  A troll/fairy display.
As miserable as I was (and I was hating life in the heat), I'm very glad the boys made me get up out of the air conditioned house and head for the Big Bugs!  I am hopeful that once the weather cools down, we can really take advantage of what Glenwood Gardens has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks so cool! I think I might take the girls. I love the pic of them by the tree.

    ReplyDelete