January 9, 2017

Let's get this started.

This week is going to be a busy one!  Because of the chronic blood loss that I've experienced since October (2016) I'm super anemic.  First things first, I'll be having a blood transfusion.  I am hopeful that is going to help with my energy level!  I've been so tired and with chemo and radiation in my future I was so scared when thinking about how much more tired I was going to become.  Receiving a couple units of blood should really help.

Next up?  Wednesday - An appointment with my gyno-oncologist office for a "Chemotherapy Teaching" (whatever that means) and immediately following that, I'll rush over to the hospital for my picc-line to be placed.  I know it's necessary but the news that I was going to be getting a picc-line just seemed to make everything a lot more "real".  Just another daily reminder, even while I'm not actively getting treatment, that I have c.

Thursday, I begin the external radiation treatments.  I had an appointment with my radiation oncologist and was bombarded with information!  While I was told I was going to have chemo/radiation treatment daily for 5-6 weeks, that wasn't necessarily true.  Yes, I will have external radiation (28 treatments total) for 5-6 weeks along with the chemo once a week.  However, the internal radiation happens twice during the last week of external..then again twice a week for 2 additional weeks (for a total of 5-6 internal radiation treatments).  So, in reality... I'll be getting radiation for 7-8 weeks.  

Confused yet??

She mentioned that external radiation isn't too bad.  I'll have some digestive issues, fatigue, and possible urinary issues (serious fun times).. but it will be the internal radiation that will really knock me on my feet.  Great.

Honestly, I think I've remained pretty positive about this whole thing.  

I think growing up with a chronically ill mother has really helped with my mentality. She didn't complain.. she just did what she had to do.  

That's all I can do.  

Show up where I'm told.
Do what they say.
Go home.
Repeat the next day.

I'll probably post a weekly update.  At least I do hope to.  I want to keep a record of everything I'm going through so I can look back and say... wow, look at how far I've come!  

No comments:

Post a Comment