January 30, 2012

What the?

Over the weekend I got the bug to clean out (and organize) the kitchen drawers.  I blame Pinterest.  Anyway, these drawers were overflowing with random utensils and just junk that has accumulated over the years.




These old wicker hotpads were buried deep in one of the drawers.  They're so pretty!  I may find a way to display them vs. shoving them into the dark.


 As long as I can remember we've never made homemade biscuits.  Are these biscuit cutters?

What the heck is the thing on the left? 

I have no idea what the intended function is of the fork type thing on the left?  The metal piece under the fork can be "opened" or flipped down.  Maybe it's meant to grab onto a piece of food to help it to be flipped? The spatula type utensil on the right looks like a garden tool!  I suppose it's just an old metal "flipper" that can be used for whatever type of food that needs to be flipped.  The engraving on its handle reads: "Schuyler's Handy Turner, Springfield, Ohio"

Engraving on the slicer reads.. top: "Use Washington apples" bottom: "America's favorite apples."
 I have used the hand held/manual mixer a lot.  It's so much more convenient since we do a lot of our mixing on the dining room table where there is not a electrical plug close.  However, until I spoke to my Momma I had no idea what the metal utensil on the bottom was!?  I explained the look and she informed me it was a garlic mincer.  Again, why would we have one of these in our house!?  Now, let's talk about the apple slicer.  Two weeks ago I bought a new apple slicer.  I've never seen one here and thought it would come in handy for the Demon, since I don't trust him with a knife sharp enough to slice one.  This was our quick fix.  Saturday, I found an apple slicer!  That's another $4 that I'll never see again.


There were two of these knives.  What is the purpose of these thin, flimsy, SHARP knives?


Seriously?  As I pulled these out I tossed them in the trash.  I found the "Nest Egg" first and thought "what is this?" and tossed it in the can.  I guess it holds an egg, but why?  The second one I found (as they were all randomly thrown in the drawer) was the "Funnel your savings..." funnel.  I thought, what is the purpose of this thing?  I mean, I understand the need for an occasional small funnel but these look to be a set.  These are the size of approx. a measuring 1/2 cup.  What exactly are you going to strain with something so small?  They all have the "Central Trust Bank" logo on the handle. I don't even know that bank.. or how long ago it was around.  After explaining (and laughing) everything to my Momma she wanted to see this trio, so I grabbed them out of the garbage.  Maybe these were a gift for signing up for a checking account back in the 1920's!  haha

Other random crap I found included about 40 small Tupperware style lids.  Just lids.  I also found not one, but two handheld blenders.  I wish I would have had the urge to organize years ago when I was needing a quick way to make milkshakes for the Demon!  Now, he'll have fun making them on his own!

Of all the utensils above I kept everything except the thin, flimsy knives.  I have the one set aside to ask my Momma it use but they are going to be trashed.  I don't need them.  Oh, the "Central Trust Bank" set may see the inside of the garbage can after I show them to my Momma unless she can convince me that they deserve to stay.

After pictures to come.. tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. central trust is now PNC. the nest egg thing is an egg separator. not sure about the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what do you separate an egg from? lol the shell? the white from the yolk?

      Delete
    2. white from the yolk. you crack an egg into that cup...the yolk stays in and the white runs out the bottom.

      Delete
  2. oh and the knife looks like a fillet knife. like you'd clean fish with.

    ReplyDelete