June 6, 2011

Night 11.

An estimated 7-10 day hospital stay has now turned into an 11- 14 day hospital stay.  After I type this, I will be spending the 11th night in a row on the most uncomfortable pull out love seat I've ever experienced.  I don't mean to bitch and moan - I mean the Demon did just have major surgery and his recovery has not been easy - but I'm going to!  

It's almost midnight and that means time to check vitals.  The Demon is peacefully sleeping.  Soon he will be awakened to have his temperature checked along with his blood pressure.  He'll be awake for a little while.. then slowly fall back to sleep.  And, in 4 hours it will all happen over again.  I've gotten used to sleeping through those checks.  Normally I'm awake until about 2:30am.  It's no secret that I don't sleep well at home.  It's only worse here.  I toss and turn - and that's only if the Demon has no medical issues over night.

His medical issues have ranged from something as simple as nausea/pain (expected) to a full on meltdown because his ostomy bag (freshly put on) has begun to leak @ 5am.  The lack of sleep isn't helping any stress that we both seem to be experiencing.  

He does not want me to leave him at all.  At first the quick 2-3 hour trip wasn't too big a deal to him.  After a rough visit with his dad..that all changed.  He doesn't want to be alone with him, and that leaves me little options.  Either I leave him upset or have to find someone to cover what I need to do at home.  Thankfully, he's so much like me that I know how to work the situation and everything has been taken care of without too much drama.  I don't want to explain to him that spending 19 hours a day at the hospital is wearing on me.  I have to leave for a few hours for my own sanity.

As I drive home I notice how life is just continuing to go on for the people in the world around us.  Our lives.. have stopped for almost 2 weeks.  We eat, live and breathe Children's Hospital.  I'm jealous of the outside world.  Very jealous.

Okay.. bitch fest is over.  Spending my time in here I know that things could always be worse.  Overall, we're still very blessed with our lives - no matter how messed up we happen to think it seems.

2 comments:

  1. I hope it gets better soon. I spent 3 weeks at children's with my dd once. It is hard :-(
    So sorry it's been such a rough road. Keeping you both in my prayers.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember feeling the same way when my daughter was in Children's. You leave the parking lot and realize life has gone on while your's has stopped.

    I can't wait for you and Kane to get to go home! You are almost there!!

    ReplyDelete