May 31, 2011

What day is it?

It's weird how, while in a hospital, you completely lose track of what day of the week it is.  You have no concept of time.  Any (and all) sleep is interrupted by beeping, buzzing and some sort of carnival freak type of alarm music.  I can't even begin to describe the uncomfortable pull out "couch" that I've been sleeping on.  Only the "lucky" parents of sick children that have spent nights here, could possibly understand.  During the day, when it's okay to be interrupted frequently.. the nurse rarely comes into the room.  I *think* it's probably Tuesday.  

My brain has been officially turned to mush because the only stations that seem to be offered at Cincinnati Children's Hospital are those of cartoons, ESPN, FoxNews, CNN and local channels.  I go to bed to Nickelodeon..and wake up to Nickelodeon.  Occasionally the Demon thinks it's funny to stop the channel surfing and land on a Spanish CPR teaching station. We have a wide variety of DVD's that we have brought with us, yet... I'm still miserable with the selection.

I wish I blogged daily since being in here.. but that just wasn't on my to do list.  It was much easier (and faster) to update the world via Facebook.  However, being on Facebook and seeing life passing us by is quite very depressing.  Since surgery on Thursday, I'm proud to say I've only broken down twice.  Both for very stupid reasons.. but I guess they still count as a break down.

We're on day 5 post surgery.  The Demon has had nothing to eat since Weds when he was suffering through a clear diet.  He's beyond miserable.  He's been able to get up and walk around a couple times.  His first, unassisted, walk resulted in him falling over like a freshly cut tree.  Tiiiiiimmmmbbbberrrr.  Scary!  But.. we can all laugh now that everything turned out OK.  (I have it on video...but blogger is not cooperating).  Although, I think the scare may have shaved 10 years off of my life.  Since then, he's learned that he needs assistance.  No. More. Arguing.

Continue your prayers, please.  He still has the NG tube (going from his nose down his throat to his stomach) suctioning the natural body secretions from his stomach.  Normally, these gross fluids would be pushed through the stomach and out through his stoma (illeostomy).  However, that's not happening.  His intestines have not "waken up yet".  Until they start functioning (hearing bowel sounds) he's stuck with nothing to eat and the NG tube. 

We've had so many wonderful visitors.  He has yet to complain because of the pain.  When asked "How are you doing?"  Each and every response has been "Good."  He is amazing and so much braver than I ever could have been going through the same procedure.  Knowing how I am (a big baby) I have to wonder how he ever learned to be such a strong person!?  

Until next time.. thank you all for everything you've done for us from praying to visiting from random texts of concern to Facebook responses.  It's appreciated more than any words that I could ever express.

No comments:

Post a Comment