November 1, 2010

Day 2 of labor..

November 1st, 1998

Now for the rest of the labor story I was heavily medicated so take what I may post with that in the back of your mind.  :)

As the first dose of the epidural wore off I quickly pressed the button for the nurse.

"help!!!  I can feel the pain!!!"

She informed me that it was too soon to be re-dosed....  I had no idea what I was doing but I remembered all of the shows I had watched growing up.  The slow breathing and heee heee heee's that I'd seen all the time on shows like The Cosby Show or Roseanne.  I just knew if Dr. Huxtable recommended his patients to do slow even breathing it had to work.  Find a focal point!!  Concentrate!  Well, it didn't work. When the doctor finally came in that morning I was in tears.  He was very angry and went to inform the nurse(s) that if I felt pain, I was re-dosed!  

I was given a couple steroid shots in the hopes of helping baby's lungs develop.  I was given the Magnesium Sulfate to try and stop the labor. It was not working.  It was working though if the point was to have me shaking uncontrollably and vomiting.  During the entire time of my labor my head had to be lower than my feet.  The thinking behind that was to relieve any pressure as to not break my water.  Not a great position to have to stay in while vomiting.  Also, at some point my epidural started to fail.  I was numbing unevenly.  The anesthesiologist was called and another epidural stick was ordered.  Thank you God!  

I was numb again.

This post is going to be much shorter due to the fact that Day 2 was filled with nothing more than re-dosing my epidural every 3 hours and sleeping when I could.  It was filled with doctors and nurses parading in and out.  Filled with blood pressure and pelvic checks.  Unfortunately, it was also filled with "Stinky's" family visiting.

(to be continued....)

2 comments:

  1. Lol..you had a baby by "Stinky" hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Actually, his nickname when I met him was "Dog" so I had a baby by "Dog" then as K grew up he became "Stinky". haha

    ReplyDelete